Monday, April 23, 2012

The scoring system

I've seen the suggestion a few times in the Kongregate comments to change the scoring to be based on "total tools used", rather than requiring specific tools to be used.  I wanted to share my thought process on that to shed some light on why I ultimately went the way I did.  This was absolutely a design consideration when making Episode 2, and a good one at that, but ultimately, not the best approach in my opinion.

In its original form, Episode 2 worked similar to Episode 1. The player was only given enough tools to complete each room. I wanted to make the game more accessible to players of all skill and dedication levels, so I needed a technique to make it possible to complete rooms at an easier level.

Adding in extra tools was done to create many more possible solutions.  The key point here is that adding more tools makes the room easier to solve. A gold star is more challenging because there is only 1 solution, maybe 2 if you discover a platinum solution, because you are given very specific tools to use.  

The suggestion to be able to use any breakdown of tools would make it much easier to achieve Gold.  There were many instances when crafting rooms that I knew that having just one more loot bag would make a room's solution infinitely easier. Again, in its original form, you wouldn't even have those extra tools, so if you play the game with this mindset, you won't even consider going beyond the Gold level's tool placement restrictions.

I hope this helps understand my logic. 



13 comments:

  1. For the record, I completely agree with you. I was thinking wondering this question myself while playing and came to the conclusion this was the conclusion you came to. In Episode one, each level had a specific solution (except for one or two which I believe you could solve with one less piece). I thought the Bronze-Gold system was to do that as well, but give people with less puzzle aptitude a break. So the Gold is the "normal" mode, and how the game is intended (like in EPisode 1), and I think you made the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just wanted to comment that Episode 1 did indeed have a couple levels where you didn't need to use all the tools =)

      Delete
  2. Something seems wrong with the gold and platinum awards. I've solved a few puzzles with what I thought was the fewest possible number of tools, only to get a silver award. I then used MORE tools, and got a gold award. Unless I'm misunderstanding the award system, then Fear of A Grue and The Sweet Lure of Meat are broken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same with the above about the "The Sweet Lure Of Meat", where the objective for gold requires to have two of each remaining. I made a more difficult solution by having 4 Bags, 1 Wall and 2 Meats remaining, yet I still got Silver due to having one fewer wall.

    It's still a great game and enjoyed both episodes and hope for a third, but this unfortunately needs reworking. I do agree with the others that it should be based on the fewest number of items used seeing how it makes the level that much harder and makes you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but basing success on "total tools used" allows for more possible solutions. More solutions means that it is easier to solve. Providing ONLY a specific set of tools (which is what, in effect, the Gold solution is doing) severely limits the number of solutions, thereby making the game harder.

      Delete
    2. Remember that what is harder to get is the gold medal, which should be hard. When he forces us to a solution to get the gold medal it adds more challenge, which is very welcome. Even if we have a solution with equal number of tools, it is challenging to try another. I liked it.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed finding a gold solution when I had a working solve with three gates left and one loot, because in this situation you have to figure out how to accomplish the same task with a different tool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the scoring system is the most appropriate and i really enjoyed the game finding a platinium solution. Hope to bring out new games of Talesworth. Cheer up!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Completely agree. Kids are spoiled with games these days and think games have to be easy in order to be good. They give suggestions with absolutely no concept of how game design works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please could you make a Talesworth Arena 2 please I loved the first one and was a bit upset when I'd completed it ALL 3 of the jobs on normal and easy (there is no hard) and there wasn't a good strategy game like Talesworth arena around :( please make another it was VERY good game

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many platinum solutions? I have found 12 so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have only found 12. This might be all of them.

      Delete
  9. I noticed some levels had several gold and platinum solutions, but some made the level take longer than the others. I'm a bit of a masochist and enjoy challenging games, but I wouldn't mind levels also having a time limit.

    ReplyDelete